Recipe by Daisy Kirk / Serves 3 – 4
1 can of coconut cream
½ cup water, stock or broth
650g tomatoes, chopped
2 handfuls kale, finely chopped
½ head broccoli, chopped
½ zucchini, chopped
350g cooked or canned chick peas
¼ cup Lupin Flakes
1 chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp ghee or coconut oil
2 ½ tsp ground coriander
1 ½ tsp garam masala
1 tsp fennel seeds
½ tsp ground turmeric
½ tsp cayenne pepper
1 bay leaf
Finely grated fresh ginger
1 tsp garam masala for serving
Juice of 1 lime for serving
Pinch of chilli flakes
Salt and pepper to season
- Heat ghee or coconut oil in a large pot on low heat.
- Add onion, garlic, a good chunk of finely grated fresh ginger, fennel seeds, bay leaf and a good pinch of chilli flakes and fry until onion is soft.
- Next add coriander, turmeric, cayenne pepper and garam masala and stir fry for a couple of minutes before adding chopped tomatoes. Allow to simmer gently for approximately 10 minutes.
- Next add choice of liquid (water, stock or broth), coconut cream, broccoli florets, zucchini and chick peas. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add kale, the juice of 1 lime and season with salt and pepper. Allow to cook until vegetables are soft.
- Add Lupin Flakes and cook, stirring frequently until most of the liquid is absorbed by the lupin. Add more liquid as needed until Lupin Flakes are soft.
- Before serving stir through 1 tsp garam masala and serve with a good dollop of yoghurt, toasted seeds and nuts or fresh coriander.