Pear, polenta and lupin cake
Recipe by The Lupin Co / Serves 8
80g Lupin Flakes
25g almond meal
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp stevia
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 whole eggs
70g oil of choice
1 tin (820g) pears in natural juice
1 tsp vanilla
Zest of 1 lemon
1-2 tbsp honey for drizzling and a handful of slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 160°C fan-forced. Line a loaf pan with baking paper.
- Drain the pears, putting aside 1 tbs of pear juice. Slice half of the pears neatly into thin segments. Roughly mash the other half into a pulp and add the 1 tbs of pear juice.
- Combine all dry ingredients, as well as the lemon rind.
- Whisk whole eggs, honey and vanilla for 5 minutes with electric beaters until thick and frothy.
- Pour oil into the egg mix very slowly in a steady stream while beating on medium setting.
- Fold the pear pulp gently into the egg mix. Then add the dry mix and fold very gently.
- Pour half the batter into the lined loaf pan, then layer the pear slices on top.
- Pour the rest of the batter on top of the pear layer and garnish with slivered almonds. Arrange a few slices of pear on top down the centre of loaf.
- Bake for 35-40 mins, until a skewer comes out clean. You may need to cover with aluminium foil for the last 10 minutes to avoid burning on top.
- Remove from oven and while warm drizzle with 1 or 2 tbsp of honey.
Cool and serve with cream or mascarpone.