Stuffed red capsicums
Serves 2 – 4
Brown Rice and Lupin Blend
1 cup Brown rice
½ cup Lupin Flakes
¼ tsp salt
3 cups water
1 cup passata (tomato puree)
6 small (or 4 large) red caspicums, cored and cut in halves
1 eggplant salted, washed and cubed
½ large onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 cup fresh tomato, chopped
1 tbsp paprika
½ tbsp cumin
125g Provolone cheese for topping
Olive oil for brushing and frying
Preparing the eggplant – Start by trimming the top and bottom of the eggplant, removing the stems and leaves. If desired, peel away the thick skin. Then slice into 1/2-inch to 1-inch rounds. Line a baking sheet with paper towels and generously sprinkle each slice of eggplant with salt. Place in a single layer and allow to sit for a minimum of 20 minutes. When ready, blot off the surface liquid and any remaining salt left on the eggplant.
Preparing the Brown Rice and Lupin Flakes blend – Bring brown rice, lupin flakes, salt and water to boil, then immediately turn heat down and simmer for 15 minutes, keeping lid on at all times. Turn off the heat, let sit for a further minute with the lid on, before turning out onto a serving dish. Fluff rice and lupin flakes blend with a fork and let cool.
(Alternatively this step can also be done in the rice cooker – simply add brown rice, lupin flakes, salt and water to the rice cooker and press cook!)
- While brown rice and lupin flakes are cooking, cut eggplant into cubes. Transfer eggplant cubes to a baking tray, brush with oil, season with salt and pepper and a pinch of paprika. Bake at 180C for 35 minutes.
Eggplant may need longer, cook until softened and browned.
- Core and slice capsicums into halves, place on a baking tray, brush with oil and season with salt and pepper and pinch of paprika. Bake for 25 minutes at 180c.
- While vegetables are roasting prepare the tomato mix below.
- In a deep sided frypan sauté onion, cumin, paprika and garlic for a few minutes until softened, then add the tomato paste and cook for a further 2 minutes. Add passata and cook for another minute then add fresh tomato and roasted eggplant cubes and cook for a further 2 minutes, mixing ingredients thoroughly.
- Arrange capsicum halves on a baking tray and scoop mixture into capsicum halves and top each stuffed capsicum with slices of provolone cheese.
- Place capsicum baking tray in the oven and bake at 180C for 15-20 minutes.