Preparation Time: 30 mins prep, 30 mins cook time
These mini lupin apple tarts are the perfect, healthy dessert to serve with guests and have an extra boost of protein and fibre from the Lupin Flakes. You can make all the components ahead and then just assemble them when you are ready to serve!
½ Cup (60g) Lupin Flakes, toasted
½ Cup (45g) desiccated coconut
¼ Cup (45g) sunflower seeds
18 – 20 medjool dates pitted or 20 (125g) normal pitted dates, soaked for an hour
2 ½ Tbs water
4 apples, peeled and chopped
1 tsp vanilla extract
¼ cup sultanas
1 tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
½ cup water
3 tbsp Lupin Flakes
½ cup Oats
3 tbsp sunflower seeds
½ tsp cinnamon
Pinch of salt
3 tbsp maple syrup
3 tbsp coconut oil
- Start by adding all the ingredients for the base to a food processor. Pulse until it comes together in a clump, scraping as necessary and add additional water to help it come together if it seems too dry.
- Once base is ready, line 6 tart tins or a large tart tin (around 35cm x 12cm) with baking paper and press the base into each. Refrigerate until firm.
- Meanwhile, add all the ingredients for the filling to a medium size pot.
- Cover and cook over low to medium heat, simmering until the apples are tender and the dried fruit has broken down. Add more water as necessary if it seems to boil dry. It should finish off completely reduced down, with the apples softened in a sticky syrup.
- For the crumble, add all of the crumble ingredients to a medium size bowl, and use your hands to combine it all together, breaking down the coconut oil. It should look like a crumble before baking, with clusters throughout the mixture.
- Pour onto a baking tray lined with paper and bake in the oven, preheated to 180 degrees Celsius for 12-15 minutes. Flip and bake on the second side for an additional 10 minutes.
- Once the crumble mixture is golden, remove from the oven and allow to cool completely on the baking tray.
- To assemble the tarts, remove the shells from the fridge and spoon the filling into each, before topping with the crumble. Serve as is, or reheat as desired for serving.